Friday, August 20, 2010

friday five: the urge to purge


the need to declutter in my space is evident!
At RevGals Jan hit on a familiar topic: Since posting about decluttering, I am still muttering about the need for it in my house. How about you?

1. What things do you like to hang on to?
Photos. Though I have gotten very good at getting rid of pictures that are blurry, full of the backs of peoples heads (you know, those group shots taken in a room where people are mingling or sitting around tables), or redundant.

2. What is hard to let go of?
Things given to me by people I love when those things aren't my taste or don't have a place to "live" except out of sight.

3. What is easy to give away?
Clothes! I have no problem separating myself from what I no longer wear. The harder part is holding on to clothes I think I might fit into again one day. But even there I am getting better at giving those away.

4. Is there any kind of stumbling block connected with cleaning out?
The realization that my life has changed since I acquired various stashes of things: paper for scrapbooking, supplies for stained glass, a full on rainbow of embroidery floss for needlework, even fabric. Since marrying I haven't figured out how to appropriate time for those things. It's something that plagues me and needs attention. I don't mind paring down and parting with things, but neither do I want to yield these supplies with regret.

5. What do you like to collect, hoard, or admire?
It used to be scrapbook paper, but even after paring down I still have a very nice stash. I think fabric is my real achilles heel. Got lots of it, and I ache for more.

Bonus: Tell us about recycling or whatever you can think of that goes along with this muttering about cluttering.
I try to find places or people to give the things with which I am parting: Goodwill for clothes and household goods, the local Senior Center for craft items, and so on. I don't want anything to go to waste on my watch.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

angela said...

When I get frustrated I sometimes go through and clean a bunch out at one time. So the candlemaking and soapmaking and tile breakers are all gone...

Mompriest said...

I'm with you on the recycling and hanging on to craft - I have a lot of yarn to use up!

Purple said...

I am slowly re-accumulating items in the "Craft" catagory. Great photo.

The Bug said...

I feel a strong urge to get rid of my rubber stamping stuff. I used to send a birthday card to every family member AND I made our Christmas cards. But I slowly stopped messing with it (I think blogging is meeting my creative needs now) & I don't think I've made any cards since Christmas. However, I invested a lot of money in those things - what if I got the urge to create again? It's a dilemma because it would free up a lot of space!

Betsy said...

I am so with you on #2! I feel like I am giving away the person or something like that if I give away their gift. A few years ago, I began to allow myself to 1) accept that wasn't true, and 2) take digital photos of some items and then give them away, so I could keep the memory but reclaim the space. But I know I will still struggle with it...

Jules said...

You need to scrap that before and after picture. I redid my closet getting rid of everything that no longer fit and now I seem to need to do it again.

The thing about decluttering for me is that you have to keep on it in a consistent manner and I'd rather scrap...lol,

At least we haven't been invited to be on the Hoarders tv show yet!

Jayne said...

I wish I had a way to keep a shredder in the kitchen so that I could simply shred all those papers that come in the mail you don't want to toss in the trash? I end up with piles of piles of it which I "eventually" shred, but I wish I could train myself to do it as I hold it in my hand! I'd love to do away with the "Bermuda Triangle Corner" (as hubby calls it) in the kitchen.

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails