Wednesday, March 02, 2011

art

art by Show Off's Art, sold by DaySpring

These works? I could make these. I mean, really, I could. I'm not a great artist, but nature-type images, I can do. Trees especially. Maybe I was a druid in a former life, but I'm good at trees.

I've been hankering to do something more than apply the designs other people have created. Cross stitch has been satisfying, and it has relieved stress. It makes me happy to create things for people I love. Being Nana makes me happy. But it's a b**** to see art like this and think, "I could do that."

So why don't I? That's a really good question, and I don't have a really good answer. I don't even have a bad answer. It's one of those questions that I ask myself and then it lingers in the ether until it evaporates. It seems, however, that more and more I need to be creating. I hunger for it. Maybe it's that midlife urge to come into our own that nibbles at me, but the inner artist is getting impatient for the outer person to yield to the truth that creativity r me. (That's not a typo, and yes, it is grammatically incorrect).

So this week I've decided to some very necessary cleaning and clearing in my clutter-dumped office/creative space. The artist needs space to come out and play. It's going to take her awhile, I know. She's intimidated by the Great Works that others do, and she stands, or sits, in awe of the imagination she sees revealed in the works of others but can't quite tap within herself.  She knows that once she gets the materials out she's made a commitment. She runs, screaming, down into the halls and echo chambers of my soul to hide. But enough. It's time we had words. It's time we played. The inner artist needs to be heard. And seen.

Stay tuned. Just don't hold your breath...

4 comments:

The Bug said...

I can't wait to see what you do!

Jan said...

Exciting! I love being a Nana, too. Like Bug, I can't wait to see what you do!

Terri said...

Oh, I think making your own designs is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me...I found you through RevGal connections...but I am in exactly the same funk as you. My Lenten discipline is drawing meditation (or so she plans!) using Rembrandt's drawings to encourage me. (I'm in a class: Artist as Theologian, focusing on Rembrandt and his drawings are so accessible, I feel as though I can LEARN from learning how to do his angel wings and feet and gesture...)
Just thought I'd share that others feel that same ... urge? ... to use our talents.

chrissie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails