Thursday, January 11, 2007

staying afloat

In the last few days while issuing sailing commands I’ve been reminded of a favorite book: First you Have to Row a Little Boat. Although it may appear to be a book about sailing, the author, Richard Bode, draws on his experiences of sailing as metaphor for dealing with life. It is a wonderful book, full of wisdom, and beautifully written. I think it is so good that when I first read it I bought about ten copies to distribute to various family members and friends that I knew enjoyed sailing, or at least had spent some time on the water.

After writing yesterday’s blog entry I decided it was time to read the book again (this will be the third go ‘round), but, “Eeeeekkkk!” I haven’t been able to find it! It was an ordination gift from a seminary classmate, and the card that came with the gift is still tucked in the front, so simply ordering another copy won’t do. The search is on.

In the meantime, I am making slow and steady progress wading through clutter and clearing decks to be productive here. There’s a new product on which I want to begin work, but I also need to bring some order to the details of last year for tax season. I have never let those matters go as badly as in the last twelve months, and I am now paying the price. My work is cut out for me. Let’s hope for a fair breeze to get me through it.

1 comment:

JulesinParadise said...

This is just too eerie! That and the other one by him, A Little Blue Boat (or something like that) are two of my all time favorite books along with Walking Across Egypt, which never fails to leave with tears of laughter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails