Friday, January 14, 2011

friday five: a brand new day

representative photo of a celebratory lunch 
At RevGals Singing Owl writes: Where I am it is dark, and it is cold, and it is snowing. I really wanted to stay in bed with the electric blanket cranked this morning. Share five things that made getting out of bed worthwhile for you today! 

1) Small but essential, coffee! I am fortunate that my husband makes my coffee for me (he drinks a different blend, made in a different pot). That kindness makes the coffee that much sweeter.

2) Getting into my workout routine at the gym. I desire a schedule of four days a week at the gym, and am satisfied with three. Having read recently somewhere that a marriage should have one shared indoor activity and one shared outdoor activity, some reflection on that statement led me to a breakthrough. I have always loathed exercise (unless it's dancing), and have attributed that to the distaste of sweating. This morning I realized that most of the time when I sweat it's because I'm not in shape, and the ache of muscles gasping for oxygen is what I don't like. Aha! This will give me lots to think about on the treadmill this morning.

3) A birthday lunch. Today is the birthday of a new member of our church. She is new to the area (moved here to be with family after her husband died) and knows very few people. At last week's ECW meeting when we discovered today was her birthday, there was a spontaneous eruption of "let's go to lunch for your birthday!" And so we will.

4) A trip to WalMart (groan) to get some embroidery floss. I'm working on a cross-stitch birth announcement for my oldest grandson (yes, it's a tad late) and decided to change one of the color schemes (a pink-clothed bunny just won't do). I need to select new colors.

5) Working on said cross-stitch. The end is in sight!

10 comments:

revhipchick said...

blessings for a wonderful birthday lunch! an interesting thought about having/needing 1 inside and 1 outside activity with one's spouse.

happy friday!

The Bug said...

Hmm - I might need to think about the activity with Dr. M thing...

I hope you'll take a picture of the birth announcement when it's finished!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Who are the lovely ladies up top? Have a wonderful day!

RevDrKate said...

Like that idea about the activity. We are good with the inside but in winter tha outsider is a challenge!

angela said...

I do exercise more frequently after I've paid for a gym membership to...until the winter hits. One of my neighbors said this winter "we won't see her again until spring." I am accident prone in the winter...

Terri said...

I try to make myself take a walk outside, even in the cold and snow, several times a week...but truly I prefer to look at the snow and cold, bundeled up inside with a hot beverage, than be in it.

Enjoy this day!

Jan said...

Enjoy the lunch and the day, plus the weekend. I'm impressed with your exercise schedule and know I need to re-commit to that for me. (I've just had this weird swelling in one foot that the doctor said was a sprain (the arch?) and I should just wear sensible shoes and take Aleve. I've been doing that for several weeks and probably need to go back to have it checked again. However it probably wasn't helped by all the walking I did on retreat, pushing through the sandy soil.)

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

ooh a spontaneous luncheon outing of the most fun sorts... yipee! *cheers* to delish food, lots of laughter and god's presence among you!

Carol said...

It looks like everyone in the pic is having a great time. Hope your day is great too!

Jayne said...

All wonderful things to get one out of bed!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails