Friday, December 04, 2009
friday five: do nothing
I am reading a wonderful little book for Advent it's title: "Do nothing Christmas is Coming!"
So this weeks Friday Five is simple.
List Five things you won't be doing to prepare for Christmas.
1) For the first time in thirty years I won’t be sending a Christmas letter.
2) Because of financial hardship we won’t be buying many presents: just for the kids (two) and grandchildren (2).
3) I won’t be baking cookies.
4) I won’t be making snow angels (this assumes that we don’t get any snow, a 99% accurate assumption)
5) I won’t be drinking eggnog.
And while you are doing nothing play the bonus, put your feet up and listen to your favourite Advent Carol, and post it or a link to it...
Like many, I adore O come, O come Emmanuel, but I have a special fondness for Comfort, comfort ye my people. At the time of a spiritual renewal in my life that led to my baptism, I lived just blocks away from the carillon tower of the chapel at Trinity College in Hartford, CT. I could hear the bells easily, and this is one of the tunes that was played regularly that Advent. Hearing the music evokes that time in my life that was full of spiritual stirring and seeking, as well as other memories of that place and time. It will forever be special to me.