Wednesday, October 07, 2009

a meme for the day

Thanks to The Bug, who pointed me to Lidna's blog, for bailing me out on this I-have-no-inspiration-to-write day.

1.) On average, how often do you splurge and buy something for yourself?
Since we haven't had any discretionary money for so long, I would say rarely. Every now and then, in the summer, I go to Dairy Queen, does that count?

2.) Are you more like Hall or Oates? Just kidding. Real question: What is the last creative project you began/finished? Feel free to post a pic of it.
Sad to say that my last creative effort was last March. Eeek! I really need to fix that aspect of my life. It is the icon of The Virgin of the Passion from an icon-writing workshop. Heeeeeeeeere's Mary!


3.) OK, Goldie Locks, do you consider your house too big, too little or juuust right?
This is sort of funny, since I have nicknamed the sheds in our backyard Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear. Ken thinks I'm peculiar for doing so, but it helps me keep them straight when he refers simply to "the shed." But I digress. Our house isn't really any of the above. The bedrooms are too small, especially the room that I use as an office/creative space; the living room is big but not layed out in a manner that utilizes the square footage well, and the kitchen/dining area are probably adequate.

4.) What is your favorite outdoor chore?
Oddly enough, shoveling snow, although I've only had to do that once in the last ten years. And as long as it's not too hot and there's no humidity and the bugs leave me alone, I enjoy weeding.

5) If you knew that cigarett smoking was not bad for your health but would be a weight loss tool, would you use it? Why or why not?
Nicotene aside, there's the smell factor. Now if we're pretending that there is nothing bad about smoking, then I truly might use it as a weight-loss aid. Lord knows I need something to help me shed these mid-life pounds!

6.) On a road trip, would you rather drive or ride?
That might depend on who else was with me! I can do either, and enjoy either. Trading off really works well.

7.) What do you consider a trivial pursuit?
Hoping that the right wing would get a clue.

8.) This weekend we downloaded the movie "Duplicity" with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Within 5 minutes I was bored and annoyed, but I kept watching 5-10 minutes at a time hoping it would get better between small chores. I finally gave up and Jorge watched it alone, and then regretted wasting that time because he disliked it intensely, too. So... how long do you watch a movie or read a book before giving up on it?
A movie, about 20 minutes. A book? That sort of depends on the book, but probably 50-70 pages.

9.) Is there a song that you really love but are embarrassed to admit because it's not cool or it's racy or because it's by Hall and Oates?
Ah, that would be Confederate Railroad's "I like women a little on the trashy side," but don't tell anyone.

10.) On a scale of 1-10 (10-extremely) how spontaneous are you?
Maybe a 2? But that doesn't mean I'm boring. Really, it doesn't.

11.) Are you a food and/or beverage snob?
Hmm. I don't think so, but can we ever be objective about our own snobbery?

12.) Who/What are you trying to control in your life? (I hear people gulping and see them sweating in anticipation of how to answer this one).
I don't try to control people--now THAT is a trivial pursuit! I am trying to learn to control McKinlee in order to save our furniture from total destruction. The carpet is beyond salvation.
On the what aspect, I am trying to control the impulses that make me speak before I think. The really hard thing, though, is trying to let go of desiring certain outcomes in other people's lives. Even though my notion of those outcomes would be truly beneficial for all concerned!

Anyone else want to play?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The Bug said...

Love the icon! I like learning a little more about people through these memes...

Jan said...

The icon is beautiful. I am very impressed.

I've never known anyone who liked to shovel snow. When we left NJ in 1994, my teenaged son said he'd be glad never to see snow again, because he hated shoveling. He still lives in TX, now with his wife.

Jayne said...

Oh, this is a fun one for sure, and I am sure I will play along! :c)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails