Friday, February 05, 2010

friday five: staving off gloom

At RevGals Sally writes: Candlemass is past, and Christmas is well and truly over, here in the UK February looks set to be its usual grey and cold self. Signs of spring are yet to emerge; if like me you long for them perhaps you need ways to get through these long dark days. So lets share a few tips for a cold and rainy/ snowy day....

1. Exercise, what do you do if you can't face getting out into the cold and damp?
Ha! The last month has been nothing but bitter cold and wet days. I had gotten into a routine of taking the oldest dog for a long walk, and the weather has put a huge and heavy wrench into what had become a daily ritual and anticipated joy. Tucked inside, well, there's always the morning exercise of raising my coffee cup to my lips, multiple trips to the door to let dogs out, trips to the laundry room, running the vacuum. Sadly, I do not have an indoor routine. I keep meaning to order a dvd for learning tai chi that a friend recommended. Perhaps this morning (yet another rainy day!) I will hunker down and do just that!

2. Food; time to comfort eat, or time to prepare your body for the coming spring/summer?
Having just returned from a three-day retreat where we were served thoughtful menus of healthy food, I am going to endeavor, once again, to do some menu planning. My husband and I both need to shed some pounds, never mind eat better, so this should help some. Yes, yes, that's the ticket!

3. Brainpower; do you like me need to stave off depression, if so how do you do it?
I'm a crossword puzzle junkie, and I'm working on one daily. Even if it's the same one! And sudoku! I'm in a good book now that I've been reading while on retreat, and I would like to 1) finish it before the weekend is out, and 2) start another one and continue the practice. I have been really bad about getting my reading done.

4. How about a story that lifts your spirits, is there a book or film that you return to to stave off the gloom?
Nothing comes to mind at the moment, but if I think of something I'll update this post!

5. Looking forward, do you have a favourite spring flower/ is there something that says spring is here more than anything else?
I love, Love, LOVE Daffodils! They are the harbinger of spring that perks my spirits and reminds me that the world will be green again soon.

Bonus; post a poem/ piece of music that points to the coming spring......
Well, we have this to look forward to in April! We're so excited that our son has found a wonderful partner in life. We love Trisha!

10 comments:

LutheranChik said...

Congrats! One of our kids tied the knot this year with his long-time partner -- they're a good team, and we're very happy too.

Sally said...

Love your final pic, have a wonderful April wedding :-)

Auntie Knickers said...

You really do have something to look forward to, blessings! And I bet spring will come sooner for you in Tennessee than it will here in Maine.

Jan said...

I love, love daffodils, too, so will enjoy them vicariously with the photos you post and your enjoyment. An April wedding is certainly a joy to look forward to. I remember with much happiness and joy my oldest son's wedding in 2006. No more weddings yet for the other three. . . but that was a family event of happiness I will never forget.

Di said...

That you love your daughter-in-law is enough to make me smile on this dreary grey day!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

they do say menu planning helps the budget and the waistline... kudos to you for the effort! and congrats on the april festivities!!

Jayne said...

My big ole' double bloom daffodils are rearing their heads in the mailbox bed now. I too, love those first harbingers of spring!

The Bug said...

I have a Gazelle, but I haven't used it very much this winter. It sure would help if I'd just get up & DO it!

I'm reading about you planning menus while I'm eating the lunch Dr. M brought home - pulled pork, greens & mac n cheese - yum! And a no bake cookie for dessert.

Terri said...

A challenge to walk dogs when the weather is bad....your retreat sounds wonderful!

Mary Beth said...

yay for daffodils and for love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails