Thursday, January 12, 2006

year in review

A number of my fellow scrappers have been responding to another challenge to review 2005. I have really enjoyed reading their insights and reflections about the year, and have been inspired to follow suit with my own review. What follows is my attempt to look back. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Started my own business!... spent a week on the Outer Banks in North Carolina… was interviewed for an article for publication in a national church magazine… visited the offices of The Church Center (Episcopal) in New York… went to Ground Zero.

Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I believe in the theory that I’m a work in progress, and that resolutions arise spontaneously according to awareness or the successful breakthrough of denial! There are lots of things that need attention, but highest on that list is being more attentive to and communicative with my friends and family.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
In August we welcomed our Cabana Baby, Brian, into the Crew, and in December my best friend’s second grandchild, Ella Noelle Marks (pictured), graced the world with tidings of great joy!

Did anyone close to you die?
I lost my beloved Border Collie, Brenna, in May. It has become apparent recently that for the other two dogs she was really an anchor, and they are not the same without her. There were also three deaths in my extended family, and one of them, my cousin Alden, was one of my favorite people.

What countries did you visit?
Sometimes I think that places in my own country qualify as being another planet, but since that is simply one girl’s opinion I guess the answer would be one—the good old US of A. Now, go ahead and ask me how many states I visited!!

How many states did you visit?
I’m so glad you asked! Except for a handful, I was in every state east of the Mississippi, and the fine state of Missouri. My car logged 35,000 miles. Phew, that was exhausting!

What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
Financial resources, resolutions to some outstanding questions, and adequate space in which to run my business.

What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There were lots of events in the lives of people who are important to me that are memorable: Johanna’s wedding and Junior’s graduation from Ranger school are two of the joyous ones. My friend Kathy’s cancer diagnosis is the most devastating.
On a national level I will remember the tragic unfolding of Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath. The event exposed much of what is ugly in our society and culture, including ignorance, arrogance, bigotry and apathy. It also revealed generosity and compassion among many whose hearts were not burdened by the above (or that were transformed if they were!).

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Leaving my job to start my own business.

What was your biggest failure?
Not being more responsive to the needs of the people in the three congregations I served.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
A horrible back injury that sidelined me a good bit early in the year. I’m grateful to have access to a very good chiropractor, who I continue to see for “maintenance,” related to old alignment problems.

What was the best thing you bought?
My plane ticket to Cleveland, and my new camera.

Where did most of your money go?
The boring B’s: business startup and bills.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Starting my business… Carrabba’s carmelized onion and sun-dried tomato pizza… sharing a Cabana Crew weekend for Petra’s surprise baby shower. (That's Kip, me, Janet, Jules, Moni and Pete.)

Compared to this time last year, are you:
* happier or sadder? Happier!
* thinner or fatter? Fatter, and not happy about it!
* richer or poorer? Poorer in dollars, richer in spirit.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Been in better touch with my family and friends.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Let anxiety about technical matters paralyze me. My catchphrase for the new year is perseverance!

How did you spend Christmas?
For the first time in 15 years, I was able to be with my family for the entire holiday. That's a picture of our Christmas Eve feast!

What was your favorite TV program?
The West Wing, JAG (before it was cancelled), 24, and almost any good sleuthing program. I also enjoy NCIS and Grey’s Anatomy.

What was the best book you read?
Reading has been something of a casualty of life this year, but I started, and keep trying to return, to Brian McLaren’s A New Kind of Christian.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Coming upon (and buying!) Alisdair Fraser’s CD of Robert Burns’ tunes.

What was your favorite film of this year?
This is a trick question, right? I didn’t even get to the movies until Thanksgiving! Between then and the end of the year I saw only three films, and none of them warrant mention.

What tag line best describes the year?
Road trip!

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 48, and my honey took me out to dinner.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The successful launching of my business’s web site.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
comfortable

What kept you sane?
Friends, Ken, my dogs and spider solitaire.

What political issue stirred you the most?
It isn’t so much a particular issue, but the all too frequent practice demonstrated by many conservatives of accusing an opponent of malice, immorality, or a lack of patriotism when a dissenting opinion is voiced. It would appear that civil discourse will soon become anachronistic if this practice continues. I recognize that such behavior is demonstrated by persons of all political persuasions, and I don’t excuse that, either, but hey, I can be partisan here!

Is there anyone new in your life that has made a difference?
Jayne Trapnell, whose friendship has been a joy, and who introduced me to Ken.
Ken, whose love, support and constancy allows and encourages me to bump through life with authenticity and integrity, and most of the time, without fear.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
It’s worth the risk to follow your dreams.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
On the road again!

What question didn’t get asked that should have?
I can’t quite phrase the question myself, but the answer is Ken. Since we met in February life has taken on a new dimension. There’s love, the growth that comes from investing in a relationship, the challenges of confronting assumptions and reaffirming values,
learning more fully the benefit of hearing a differing viewpoint, and learning really cool stuff about the military, LOL (a pretty bizarre thing for a pacifist!). Without his encouragement to do what was right for me I would probably still be struggling in my old job, and that is no small thing. It’s also not bad to have honey-do lists done with dispatch! Thanks, sweetie!

4 comments:

Kip said...

As always Anne, your answers were a delight to read. Yes, you sure did do some traveling girlfriend and I'm happy that some of it was with me!!!
I'm also very happy that Ken has come into your life.

xxoo

Maria said...

Anne, I loved reading your answers. What a year it has been for you. Amazing highs and lows and in the end you perservered. I hope that this coming year brings you continued happiness.
Maria

Jayne said...

Awwwwww.... what a wonderful list! You have had a very wonderful, adventurous year my dear. And, I have been so very blessed by you and your friendship as well. Looking forward to our next girl's night out. Love you! (and Ken too!)

Pam in Moncton said...

Good to read your answers, Anne. You have had a year filled with adventures of so many differnt kinds. I loved meeting you and Ken in June and I'm so happy for you both that you met each other.
Pam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails