Wednesday, September 10, 2008

and so it begins

Catalogs arrive in our mailbox on a somewhat regular basis, but yesterday there was a bundle. "Ah, the Christmas onslaught has begun," I thought to myself. Now my assortment of catalogs doesn't hold a candle to what crosses the threshold of my father's door (he only shops through catalogs), but we receive enough to take out a few trees. Fortunately we recycle our magazines, so I don't feel quite so bad about how many of them will accumulate over the next several months. And it is fun, now, this far away from Christmas to go through the catalogs and see things I like.

I enjoy dreaming about a Stonewall Kitchen breakfast or happy hour spread (love their stuff), or the ambience of Yankee Candles in the living room. An outfit from Coldwater Creek has caught my eye, and Crate and Barrell furniture makes me want to redecorate the entire house. Sears didn't call their catalog the "wish book" for nothing!

Now to start thinking about what to get for the people on my list, and make a plan of action. Last year it was a last minute rush for everything, and I don't want to go through that again. That is not the way to enjoy the holiday. I might just take a page out of my friend Maria's book and start listening to some Christmas music, take my time with the catalogs, make a cup of tea and start my list. Ah, it begins...

1 comment:

Jayne said...

I love to catalog shop and often joke that my the end of the shopping season, my UPS man is cursing me. :c) But, heck, we're not that far out and so giving it thought now certainly helps when crunch time comes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails