Tuesday, September 29, 2009

finding inspiration in a surprising interview

On my way downtown this morning I was enthralled listening to the show that featured two urban Mayors talk about revitalization in their cities on NPR's On Point. Don't let the subject matter put you off. There are wonderful and amazing things going on in some of our cities, led by creative, passionate leaders who understand that addressing the causes of problems has far more effect than focusing on symptoms. Okay, that's sort of a "duh" thing, but they do more than get it, they incarnate it! I found myself inspired to look closely at how I can be a positive force and contributor to aleviating the ills of my own community. How often can we say that?

Even better, it got me thinking about places in my own world and work that would benefit from some creative reflection, and the wheels started to turn. I'm hoping to make some "notes to self" so that I can remember to take the time to do more than think, but respond. My life could use a little of that kind of activity right now.

2 comments:

Jayne said...

I felt the same way when I saw/heard Gen McChrystal on 60 Minutes Sunday night. When he made the point that up until now, we have been like a man walking around with a hammer, looking for nails to pound, instead of like guests in a country who need to respect the people and make them a part of the process, I was bobbing my head along with his words. Seems so simple, and yet....

Terri said...

I agree. It is always more effective, albeit challenging, to address the causes and not merely the symptoms....can pondering that can lead to some insightful reflection...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails