Wednesday, October 06, 2010

all's well that ends

We're taking the day off from our book study this morning. Can I get an "Amen!" on that? After two weeks of working round-the clock on all things church, I am quite ready for the break.

I actually slept in yesterday, a day ahead of schedule. It was worth it. When I did get up, get my coffee and head to the computer, an email informed me that one of my soloists for last night's breast cancer service had a sore throat and would not be able to participate. Oh, and I went to bed the night before not knowing if the organist had the music for the piece. The extra sleep notwithstanding, I had a little cry-fest. I spent the rest of the morning going back and forth with the organist, the remaining soloist, visiting web sites and listening to youtube rendtitions of possible replacement tunes. Thank goodness the bulletin hadn't been printed yet, so I didn't have to waste that effort.

Fast forward. I finished the homily (a rare thing, to have a text from which to preach!), drafted the prayers, printed the bulletin, helped Ken with appetizers for the reception, and actually went shopping! Hey, I had a coupon for $10 off, and on Tuesdays folks like me get a 20% discount. A little retail therapy was a smart move, and got me out into the sunshine.

The service went well and was suitably lovely, though attendance was pitiful. I've already made notes about how to promote this better last year, and chatted with a survivor about how to get the word out to the survivor community. Still, it's a start, and the heavy lifting (creating the service, choosing music) has already been done.

My heart is especially grateful for the people who came last night, served during the service, and for those who helped create a beautiful reception. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I gots me some good people.

3 comments:

The Bug said...

I'm so glad it went well - even though not smoothly or well attended. Like you said, the hard work is done & you can spend your energy next year promoting the service.

Sharon said...

Good people are the best! So glad you have them and that they (we) have you.

Jayne said...

A shame that more people did not come. :c( I know those who did were feeling so very blessed with the effort that was made.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails