Friday, January 02, 2009

where did I leave my mind?

There are days when I am astounded that I function at all. From one moment to the next I can't recall what I was doing or setting out to do. Ken and I will have a conversation and then I will ask him a question, the answer to which we had just discussed. At other times I am singularly focused, competent, productive and creative. What goes on here?

I know that as we age our brain function shifts to a lower gear, but mine seems to be performing like a car at the mercy of someone first learning how to drive a stick shift. Lurch, drive, lurch, drive, lurch, stall. It is beyond annoying.

For all of these reasons I have returned to the former habit of making lists (why did I ever stop?). It doesn't mean that I check off all the items on that list, but at least they serve as a record of intent, if not follow-through. Changing the habit of procrastination is another matter, but that one will be a tougher nut to crack.

This morning I am feeling at loose ends, not the best sign for making my way through today's list expeditiously. At least I had a productive day yesterday and can actually see the entirety (yes, the entirety!) of the top of my desk. Furthermore the floor is fairly clear of debris and the very suggestion of space induces happiness.

Now to tackle the list. Breathe. Do one thing. Cross it off the list. Breathe. Do another thing. Cross if off the list. Breathe....

2 comments:

Jayne said...

Indeed... lists are our friends! Trust me when I tell you that you are not alone. :c)

Pam in Moncton said...

If you find yours, could you ask it if it knows where mine is? Love the list!
Pam

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails