Monday, July 19, 2010

summer bounty

Today's Mosaic Monday is inspired by a stop at a local family's roadside produce stand the other day. I wish I had taken a few more pictures for a little splash of color here: they had blueberries, squash, and yes, tomatoes. At least the tomatoes are represented above, where we slice an heirloom and served it with mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Heaven!

Our own garden is a huge disappointment this year. Moles have destroyed the roots of two of our tomato plants, along with our cukes and squash. Bummer. The rosemary is doing well! We've also got some healthy dill and basil. This summer has been so miserably hot that it's just as well that we have a smaller garden. Being out in the heat and humidity is a medical hardship for Ken, and I'm a self-professed hot-weather-wimp! It's a miracle that I've done any wedding at all, and I'm not keeping up with that particularly well. One of these mornings I'll plunge in if the temperature is actually cooler outside than inside and the humidity isn't bathing me in instant sweat. Yuck!

8 comments:

Journey said...

I love farmers markets...their produce is always picture perfect. My tomato plants are rather dismal this year and for the two of us, it is much easier to frequent the markets. Perhaps not as cost effective, but certainly the results are better.

Terri said...

This has been a hot summer! Sorry about the garden, but yay for farmers markets!

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful Summer veggie mosaic. Have a great week, Mary

The Bug said...

Boy those tomatoes look fabulous! I think we might end up with tomatoes to share - just head up to Ohio & we'll give you some!

EG CameraGirl said...

It has been hot here too! Sorry your garden was attacked by moles. Thankfully there are many roadside stands this time of year.

Jayne said...

Yum indeed! That tomato looks so good!

Diana said...

wow, great looking produce. It makes a lovely mosaic.

Unknown said...

Wow, did you really take those photos? Very well done! They look very professional, like something on the cover of "Martha Stewart Living," an irritatingly perfect, very glossy magazine someone got me a subscription to, which I can only hope may have been as a joke. I never open it but add each new copy to my casually arranged stack in my guest bathroom, so as to indicate that you betca, I sure do care about whether my new linen napkins are the exact-right shade of papaya to go with my trendy kiwi-fruit eyeshadow, or what-the-heck-ever. Good Lord, some women just don't have enough to do, I think. Whew! Got that off my chest! I feel better now. Thanks! Great pictures, though, seriously. Maybe you should be a freelance shooter and peddle your pictures to stock photo companies for publication in magazines and on web sites and make BIG BUCKS! Yours are good enough, they certainly are.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails