Friday, June 11, 2010

friday five

At RevGals MomPriest writes: For this Friday Five let's ponder the various ways we work out (or not), physically, spiritually, and/or psychologically.

1. Do you work out physically, spiritually, or psychologically? (I'll let you define what that might mean to you)
You've heard this before, but my daily exercise routine consists of raising my coffee cup to my lips for multiple repetitions. I am not a big fan of exercise. Or, better stated, I think exercise is great, I simply loathe doing it. It's the sweat. I hate. to. sweat. Unless I'm swimming or dancing. I used to swim a half mile every day when we had a membership at the local family life center. I do enjoy a good walk through the neighborhood, especially with one of my dogs, but it's gotten hot, you see, and did I mention sweating? I know I need to do something about this aversion. As my body ages it becomes increasingly clear that exercise will improve my life. Man, I hate that.


I do much better in the spiritual and psychological realms. My husband and I have regular explorations of various theological questions with spiritual implications, so there's lots of exercise there in all sorts of ways. My prayer life, less so, but that's where I happen to be at the moment. I'm working on that. As for the psychological, I've been a journeyer in that area for a long time and have regular opportunities to draw on and work that area of interest.

2. Are you more inclined to join a gym, or a book club?
Book Club. See above.

3. Are you more inclined to read self-help books like Gail Sheehy's "Passages" or spiritual books like Richard Rohr or Theresa of Avila? And if so, what is your favorite?
Yes. Scott Peck is an old hero in the self-help arena. As for a favorite in the spiritual life, I'm currently lapping up John O'Donohue. Where has he been all my life?

4. Are you a loyal fan of a sports team? Or do you join the bandwagon when the local team is winning? And, if so, which one? Way back when, in high school days, I was a fanatic of the NHL team the Montreal Canadiens. My best friend's family were deep into hockey (her younger brother played), and I spent a lot of time with them in my teen years. Pete Mahovlich was my  man. I was such a fanatic that I dated my school notes according to the jersey number of the date's corresponding player. If the date was April 10, for instance, My notebook began its entry looking like this: Cournoyer/Lafleur. Like I said. Fanatic. I cut out every article and picture in the paper and had a scrapbook of the season. When I went to college I moved away from hockey country to the outback of Indiana (outback in terms of  hockey. I loved Indiana). It was difficult to follow the team, any team, and the air eventually went out of my fanatical balloon. I am still a hockey fan and still loyal to Les Habitants, but I couldn't begin to tell you the name of any of their players.

Here in Nashville I root for the home pro teams (TN Titans in football, and Predators in hockey). I don't root for the University of Tennessee. I'm allergic to orange, for one thing, and my home girls, the University of Connecticut Lady Huskies, rock in college basketball. Let's just say undefeated champions.

5. Or do you lean more toward having a favorite theologian/Spiritual writer or self help author  and if so, who? And, why.
I'm a big fan of Frederick Beuchner.We share writing styles, so there's a natural attraction, but he has a way of looking at things upside down and backward that makes perfect sense.Oh, and Parker Palmer.

Bonus: What was the last play-off series you watched and did your team win? 
That would be football, the games leading to and including the super bowl. Once Tennessee was out of the picture I rooted for the New Orleans Saints. As a former resident of Indiana I support the Colts (and who doesn't love Peyton Manning?), but I also wanted the Saints to win, which they did. Go Saints! It was also fun sharing the excitement with Mrs. Senior Warden, who hails from Louisiana.

7 comments:

Terri said...

I love that you were/are such a hockey fan. My reflection for the Feminist Theology blog this week includes some thoughts about hockey - you can find the link on my blog - it'll be up by Sat.

Anyway - really fun play, thanks. Now, I'm going to go work out with my coffee mug!

Mary Beth said...

I love Buechner too. It's been years since I read him straight through...time to go back!

I'm doing water aerobics 2x a week and it keeps me from feeling the sweating! In between classes I can go to the rec center and use the equipment to do deep water jogging, kickboarding in the lap lanes, etc. I've never been able to swim laps for exercise...but this works for me. :) IT's also kind to my injured knee!

The Bug said...

Love the cartoon - it's me! Heh.

You didn't even MENTION baseball. I'm very sad. LOL.

Jan said...

I almost got that cartoon for my FF. I chose sweating thingies, because I just spent 45 minutes outside and am still wet. I love Buechner, too. I have always admired his writing--his long, descriptive sentences. No wonder you are a good writer!

Terri said...

ok...it's posted now on the FT blog...

angela said...

I like how you write about sports...as one who rarely understands why people would watch them on t.v. I am just not wired that way unless someone else is really interested and I catch his/her enthusiasm.

Jayne said...

I'm glad you are enjoying John O'Donohue! XOXO

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails